1. Even Christians need this lesson. Often some of the most spiritually sounding Christian Believers really depend more on self-reliance than God. It is a trap not only to unbelievers but to so-called spiritual people as well.
A rock that is higher than I is both scripture & song verse:
Psalms 61: 1- Hear my cry, O God;
Attend to my prayer.
2 From the end of the earth I will cry to You,
When my heart is overwhelmed;
Lead me to the rock that is higher than I.
3 For You have been a shelter for me,
A strong tower from the enemy.
4 I will abide in Your tabernacle forever;
I will trust in the shelter of Your wings. Selah
2. Learning to walk with God demands that we see a limit to our own self-worth, in light of the greater good of God.
Psalm 53:11- New Living Translation
1 Only fools say in their hearts,
“There is no God.”
They are corrupt, and their actions are evil;
not one of them does good! 2 God looks down from heave. on the entire human race;
he looks to see if anyone is truly wise,
if anyone seeks God.
3 But no, all have turned away;
all have become corrupt.
No one does good, not a single one!
3. Admission of need is always the correct starting point of a spiritual walk of faith. Whenever we think that we can handle things without Him, then we are in danger of replacing God’s throne and Rule in our lives with the errant, limited and flawed vision of the rule of self.
Proverbs 14:12 NKJV
There is a way that seems right to a man, But its end is the way of death.
4. Therefore even the deepest & highest epitome of spirituality still involves Earnest dependence & seeking of the will of God. This is the reason Jesus teachings highlighted the necessity to seek to find. Self-reliance is a dangerous precipice that leads to a deep pit. Seeking keeps us on the reverent side of arrogance, which is called humility in the New Testament. We are told at least eight times to seek to find!
Matthew 7:7-8 NLT
“Keep on asking, and you will receive what you ask for. Keep on seeking, and you will find. Keep on knocking, and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks, receives. Everyone who seeks, finds. And to everyone who knocks, the door will be opened.
5. Spiritual searching & personal devotion is a very individual matter. It is not a call, for me to judge my fellow man by. But a command of Christ for each of us individually, to keep our own heart consecrated, as a top priority. The same advice goes as well for every true Christian Believer.
Matthew 7:5 NLT. Hypocrite! First get rid of the log in your own eye; then you will see well enough to deal with the speck n ur friends eye.
6. As with so many matters of Christian faith, balance is required forget a true understanding of God’s message. Personal accomplishment is not necessarily out of line with a deep submission & Reliance on the Higher power of God. There can be great achievement and high Earthly office & recognition, without any lack of devotion & love for God. The key is what is first! Self will & personal accomplishment or God’s Will & desire to bring Him glory. God Delights in the merits and exceptionalism of His children, as long as there is a reverence & holy devoted love for Him as Divine parent.
2 Timothy 2:15 – Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a worker who has no need to be ashamed, rightly handling the word of truth.
Colossians 3:17 – And whatever you do-in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus-giving thanks to God the Father thru Him.
1 Corinthians 10:31 – So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God.
7. This balance check far from limiting us, sets us free. Holy fear is not like unnatural fear. Holy reverence recognizes the celestial supremacy of God and gladly worships Him. We feel the might of his Spirit energizing & empowering us to be our very best-when we most want to bring Him honor & praise.
1 John 4:4 ESV / Little children, you are from God and have overcome them, for he who is in you is greater than he who is in the world.
Ephesians 2:10 ESV / For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them.
8. As promised, I am going to preach more on prayer. Many, if not all significant spiritual topics in the Bible, tie into prayer, including this one about recognizing a power greater than ourselves. A rock higher than I. – – Old Testament and New, it is confirmed that the Greatest commandment is to Love the Lord thy God with all thy heart soul and strength. And this is best learned and practiced in the private submission and supplication of private prayer.
Psalm 5:7. But as for me, by Your abundant lovingkindness I will enter Your house, At Your holy temple I will bow in reverence for You.
Psalm 95:6. Come, let us worship and bow down, Let us kneel before the Lord our Maker.
9. I can not do it on my own. Lord, I need you! We must never lose this humble petition in our prayers, if we want to stay in true worship with God, who is The Highest & most Worthy power greater than ourselves.
Psalm 51:17 ESV / The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit; a broken and contrite heart, O God, you will not despise.
Isaiah 66:1-2 ESV / Thus says the LORD: “Heaven is my throne, and the earth is my footstool; what is the house that you would build for me, and what is the place of my rest? All these things my hand has made, and so all these things came to be, declares the LORD. But this is the one to whom I will look: he who is humble & contrite in spirit and trembles at my word.
And so, it is in learning how small we are that we learn how great God is. And that our greatest accomplishment, is nothing without God and truly significant through Him. The great realization is not just that there is “a” power greater than ourselves. But that but that “the” greatest Power above ourselves is the very Rock of our salvation! Even Jesus who died for us on the cross & rose again to secure our eternal life. It is learning, recognizing and worshipping The Rock greater than ourselves, that truly solidifies our earthly steps into Eternal significance & meaning!
Slam- Timothy Grant Carter